Balancing physical changes in winter
Posted by Nikki on July 7, 2018
If wintertime is creating excess mucus and body weight for you and/or making you feel sluggish and depressed, then add more light, dry and high fiber foods. Consuming more high fiber foods will reduce feelings of being weighed down, stagnant or uninspired. Focus on adding fresh fruits and vegetables to your cooked meals. My favourites are broccoli, zucchini and green beans. Even adding some drying qualities to soak up some mucus can help too – think wholegrains grains, beans, millet, quinoa etc.
Nic’s wholegrain breakie porridge.
- Cook quinoa as per the packet instructions always good to make a bunch in advance to enjoy through the week.
- In a small saucepan, add half a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of almond meal for some good fats, 1 tablespoon or chia seeds, 1 tablespoon of desiccated coconut.
- Add ¾ cup of water or a milk of choice – warm through. Allow the chia to become collagenous – about 10 mins, stir every now and again.
- When its ready, add cinnamon and nutmeg (or what ever spices you like for the morning)
- Add about a quarter of a cup of your pre-cooked quinoa.
- Turn your pot back on for a few mins just to heat everything through again, you may also need to add a little more liquid.
- Option to add a protein powder and or a mashed banana when you add your spices.
- I like to top min with walnuts and sunflower seeds or pepita’s. You can also add your favourite fruit. I like to eat with my eyes, so figs and kiwi are my go to.
- This is a really warming and nourishing breakie that will keep you full for a long time.
This is just some general advice that I’ve seen support and nourish my body. For any more information on Aryuveda, get in touch.